Anyone who has gone through a Keto diet has gone through the struggle of trying to come up with fun and interesting recipes. Here is another one to add to your low carb roster. This asian inspired recipe substitutes traditional egg roll wrappers for bok choy and is accompanied with a spicy dressing.
At first I thought this was going to be too healthy and boring, but the release of the water from the steamed bok choy with the combination of the spicy miso marinade adds a refreshing sensation after every bite. I found myself popping one after the other throughout the day satiating my appetite without feeling sluggish or bloated.
Follow the instructions below to make this for yourself at home!
For the main dish:
1 pound (450g) ground meat (beef, pork, chicken, or turkey)
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 tablespoons fresh mint leaves, finely chopped
tablespoon fresh ginger, grated
Salt and pepper to taste
Coconut Oil for frying
Three bushels of bok choy stripped individually with leaves intact.
- In a food processor, combine the ground meat, minced garlic, mint leaves, grated ginger. *Add a pinch of salt and pepper if desired, but not necessary because all the salt will be in the marinade.
- Mix all the ingredients together until the garlic and ginger are well combined.
- Shape the mixture into meatballs of your desired size. and place them in frying pan cooking meatballs on both sides on medium heat. Once done, keep the oil and meat juice in the pan for the marinade.
For the spicy miso marinade:
- In a small bowl, whisk together the ingredients for the miso marinade: miso paste, hot sauce, water, and honey (optional). Set aside.
- Use the same pan from the meatballs to create a sauce from that meat juice, reducing the liquid on medium heat while stirring.
- Once the sauce is reduced to a quarter of the amount, add the meatballs to the spicy marinade to cover all the meatballs in sauce.
Rolling the Bok Choy and Meatballs:
- Bring a pot of water to boil and then place a steamer of the bok choy strips in. Remove once the leaves have soften. This could take five minutes or less.
- Once leaves have soften, allow two minutes to cool before rolling the meatball in each leaf holding it together with a toothpick.
Serve the Spicy Bok Choy Meatrolls as an appetizer or as a main course with steamed rice or noodles. You can also drizzle with more marinade to add more flavor.
Leave comments if you have any suggestions or feedback about this recipe!